art?

Recently, I’ve been really enjoying art. Ever since I stopped taking band as a class this year, I've been taking Drawing 1. 


I used to draw a lot. I took drawing classes every Thursday from 7-9pm. It was a type of therapy to be immersed in the acrylic paints and artwork spanning every inch of the drawing room for two hours. I remember clearly the times where I would sit and meticulously work on my large canvas painting with the plate of mixed paint nearby and talk to a friend I had gotten to know. 


The light of the lamp was shining because it always turned dark by the time I got there. Quiet but you could always hear the rustling of paper, the scratching of a pencil.


I stopped taking the classes because high school got busy, with marching band every Friday and weekend, volunteering, homework, and school in general taking over most of my time. The pace quickened from the calm of the drawing room. I took up digital art because it was quicker(you can choose the colors from the color picker in a much faster time than mixing the colors by hand).


Now that I’m drawing for my Drawing 1 class, it almost reminds me of those days 4 years ago when I would sit down and just draw. I would erase the thoughts from my mind and focus on the shapes and colors in front of me and think, “How can I replicate this color onto my canvas?” “How can I create something that represents what I would like to convey?” In my room with Zoom in the background, I draw. I draw with the pencil hitting the paper, slowing the time down again.

There are a lot of things that we decide to stop as we grow older--perhaps it’s for the best--but I’m happy that I’m drawing again. It’s one of the little joys in my life at the moment.


Some new work...




Comments

Popular Posts